A landmark jewel that was once nestled quietly among an enormous orange grove in the early 20th century,
Anaheim White House is still Anaheim's most famous hidden treasure.
This beautiful historical landmark was skillfully crafted by a gentleman named Dosithe Gervais in 1909.
Mr. & Mrs. George Waterman purchased the home in 1916; but soon after, the home was sold to Dr.
Truxaw and his wife, Louise. The Truxaw family would call this lovely mansion their home for 50 years.
Dr. Truxaw was well known to all in the community, with a reputation for "never refusing to help anyone"
and for delivering 3,500 babies, spanning three generations. He died in 1952; his loving wife remained in
the home until she died in 1969. And sadly, in 2001, one of the Truxaw's last remaining daughters, Louise
Sutherland, passed away a month after fulfilling one of her last wishes, which was to have one last
luncheon at Anaheim White House. She "celebrated" her remaining days of life with one of her favorites, a
special Anaheim White House martini!
In 1978, Mrs. Anthony Bouch, an energetic woman in her 70's, purchased the home and aspired to open an
antique store. After making $100,000 in renovations, however, her health failed and she was unable to
fulfill her dream. Jim and Barbara Stovall purchased the home in 1981. They planned to build condominiums
in its place, even hiring an architect to help with the design. But on the eve of the scheduled
demolition, Barbara told her husband that she couldn't bear the thought of the home being destroyed. New
plans were then drawn up, almost immediately, for the restoration of the home as "Thee White House
Restaurant," which opened on New Year's Eve of 1981.
Very few changes were made in the refurbishment project. The restoration was copied from original
existing pieces, whenever possible. The interior of the home was restored with most rooms retaining their
original size and shape. The brick fireplace in the library (now the main dining room) and many of the
windows are original. Every effort has been made to retain the appearance of the home as it was in 1909.